Subject: Re: [Leica] Jonathan's PAW week three
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 00:34:44 -0800

Jonathan wrote:

> Mark,
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.
> The large size is 800 pixels tall, is THAT one too small?
> Or is the midget too small?
> If so what size do you think is appropriate?

I came out of the Bauhaus moment in a sense.
My adviser in College was Myron Kozman who came right out of the Chicago
branch of the Bauhaus movement.
Studied right under Maholy Nagy. He'd quote him all the time. Tell us
stories about him
He would say you sign your work your signature was just as much part of
the work of art as any other brush stroke in it. Also the Frame.

Your photo.net Gallery serves a great purpose but its ever so consistent
and involved feedback interface for me gets very intrusive.

Among other things You click on a picture and under it every time is
"Small | Medium | Large."
Doesn't matter what the picture, who does it. It is the nature of the
very consistent communal interface.

Give me a bad homemade website any day.

This of course has nothing to do with your photos which are of course excellent.
I respond sometimes to the package. The handling. The graphics. The
headings. The apparent subtitles. Trivialities.

We hope and think and assume we can ignore such trivialities but the
fact is we can not. Every figure has it's ground. Context.
And context is everything.

Small | Medium | Large becomes the caption of the picture. Just like it
is on every picture on the site; done by everybody.

In this case it seemed for a moment ridiculously appropriate. It was a
comment, a caption. A cry out by the very subject itself.
Wouldn't it be nice if we could click on a box and make ourselves or our
world Small | Medium | or  Large?

Very Alice and Wonderland I guess!

To say i don't have empathy for the small Chinese man is to not know me
and sell me short.    Oops!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com