Subject: [Leica] Re: My Leica...Bad Experience!
From: bampolsk@csc.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:04:18 -0500

Justin Goh wrote:

   >>Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 02:08:07 -0800 (PST)
   From: Justin Goh <sunsetat7@yahoo.com>
   Subject: [Leica] My Leica...Bad Experience!
   >>Greetings to All,
   I just want to share my bad experience from Leica. I
   bought my Leica M6 TTL body with the 90 mm lens and
   Motor M last September. I was going for my Christmas
   holiday to another country and will be attending a
   family and friends' reunion last Christmas season and
   was about to bring along my Leica body and lens
   together with me when something happened. I didn't put
   my first roll 'til December as I was pretty confident
   that nothing's gonna happen with it. On my 3rd frame,
   after I can't cock the shutter anymore; when I opened
   tha camera back, I had to take out the unused film and
   saw for myself that the shutter was split into two.
   Well, it was split in a way that the other curtain was
   loose from some sort of a metal frame between the two
   shutter cloths (I believe it's the first and second
   curtain). I immediately took my camera to the agent to
   get it checked as I wasn't forcing anything on the
   virgin roll. To my surprise, the Leica technician said
   that it was a 'factory defect' and they will have to
   send the body to Germany for repair and was told that
   it will take 3 long months to get it back. I didn't
   even get the chance to see the result of the first
   film as it was already exposed. That really hurt me
   and wrote a mail to Mr. Horst Braun of Leica if I can
   get a brand new body as a replacement for the faulty
   body as I've never even put on the camera around my
   neck. I never got ANY response or comments from him or
   from anybody from Leica. 'Hope somebody's listening
   here from Leica to give some comments. Are you getting
   the same service from Leica?

My experience with Leica has been exactly the reverse.  On January 1, 2001,
I dropped my nine month old M6 TTL, bending the rewind crank.  As a result,
the film advance and rewind both dragged.  I sent the camera back to Leica
and less than three weeks later received the camera back and as good as
new.  No charge.  Even for "operator error".  The camera went to Leica USA
and was prepared there without having to be returned to Germany.