Subject: Re: [Leica] Adam's PAW - week 3
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 21:36:47 -0800

On 1/21/02 at 6:00 AM, wajsman@webshuttle.ch (Nathan Wajsman) thoughtfully
wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> You certainly have mastered Technical Pan, judging from this image. The
tonality is
> beautiful. I also like the composition and use of light very much. The only
thing I
> am not sure about is whether I like the selective focus on the sand in the
> foreground. My eye keeps looking at the out-of-focus trees/shrubbery in the
> background, which is not what you intended, I think. But a beautiful image
> nonetheless.
>
> Nathan

Thank you for your generous comments, Nathan.

It was a difficult choice - forced on me with the lens and slow film speed. I
loved the light and texture of the sand.

As I printed the image I saw that I could make the distant trees and path have
some detail so I elected to bring that detail out - which is what draws your eye
to them. Perhaps I should have left them in siloutte?

Over the weekend I printed the image again at 8 x 10 and discovered that there
was considerable detail in the figures which before had only been pretty much
stark black. Getting that detail out gives your eye something to move to besides
the distant trees and perhaps it makes them more bearable.

This is the best Technical Pan I've shot - the metal tank and precise control of
temperature has really helped me.

Best regards,

Adam Bridge