Subject: [Leica] Re: Eric's PAW
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@clearsightusa.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 11:43:52 -0800

My comments are not about Eric's PAW but about comments and critique of PAWs
in general.

Submitting any photos on the LUG is no different than displaying salon
photography and art in a gallery.  As photographers and artists display
their best work in a gallery, so do LUG members offer their best efforts for
our viewing pleasure, comments, and critique.

I believe that it is important to keep comments and critique in perspective.
Not all LUGers are Galen Rowels, and not all LUGers are photographic
experts. Encouragement, suggestions, and praise will foster renewed fervor
on the part of the photographer in question - and the rest of us.

By the same token, constructive criticism is just as important. Lavish
praise alone will not lead to improvement in technique, aesthetics, etc. And
the photographer in question should consider all comments and learn from
them, if nothing else, about what appeals to others.

I recall a photo of a man in his shop. The composition could have been
improved measurably by re-cropping to eliminate a distracting object in the
corner, and a LUGer (one whose knowledge of photography is well above
average) suggested it. The comment created a defensive posture on the part
of the photographer and led to a prolonged exchange.

Personally I find it difficult to learn from polite praise. I welcome
criticism although, in many cases, such criticism does not supercede my own
opinions or believes.

I enjoy seeing PAWs and derive useful insight from subsequent comments. In
some cases comments reveal aspects of the photograph that had escaped me.

Some PAWs are more memorable than others, but, in spite of the fact that I
seldom comment - especially publicly -  I welcome all of them.

Joseph Codispoti

Replies: Reply from Jim Hemenway <jim@hemenway.com> ([Leica] PAWs)