Subject: Re: [Leica] Long Telephoto lenses for M cameras
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 19:12:43 -0500

At 03:28 PM 1/19/02 -0800, Henning Wulff wrote:
>Pretty much the same experiences as I've had. I had a couple examples
>of the 400/5 (both late) and the 400/5.6 and 6.8 were a lot better in
>every respect except field flatness; especially contrast was a lot
>better.

Allow me to dissent.  I sold the f/5.6 and f/6.8 lenses and kept the
second-version f/5, which is absolutely the finest 40cm lens I have ever
used, exceeding even the Kilfitt and Novoflex lenses in performance --
VASTLY better contrast was what I found with the f/5 lens.  (I have owned
two f/5.6 and one f/6.8 lenses, and have used a couple of others of both
ilks.  The later lenses were simply not as satisfactory as was the 5/40cm,
second version.  I recognize that Erwin dissents from this viewpoint, so
maybe I simply had five or six dud exemplars at hand -- but they will pry
that 5/40cm Telyt out of my dead hands.  It is a magnificent lens in all
regards.

As to the shorter lenses, I've never noticed a huge difference between
4.5/20cm and 4/200 Telyt or between the various versions of the 4.8/280
Telyt, but I've not made a specific study of these lenses.  The 4.5/20cm is
suitable for modern usages, so who cares beyond that?

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Message from "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net> ([Leica] Long Telephoto lenses for M cameras)