Subject: Re: [Leica] Rebates for 2002??
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 21:36:13 -0500

Andrew Schroter wrote:

> Robert Clarke wrote:
>

>>Hi all...just wondering if anyone out there in the Leica nation knows if
>>we may see $200 rebates again soon?  And...will there be any Leica Days
>>for 2002?  I know the rebates were on and off for over a year but since
>>Jan 1, 2002, I haven't seen anything about another one....
>>

> My guess is that Leica will determine if volume is sufficient that they
> don't need to rebate.  Funny thing about rebates, consumers tend to expect
> them if they've seen them in the past and will tend to wait for the next
> rebate offer.

My guess is that Leica USA will find some way to stay competitive with
gray market prices and deal with dollar/mark, now dollar/euro
fluctuations. To me, that suggests continued rebates and Leica Day
discounts.

For marketing reasons, Leica USA (along with every other camera
manufacturer/importer) never wants their "official" list price to
decrease. So, when the dollar gets stronger, they would prefer to play
this "rebate" game forever rather than just lower the price. Why?
Because when the dollar/euro relationship moves in the other direction,
the company would have to "raise" its prices, which, from a marketing
standpoint it doesn't wants to be seen doing.

For a good indication of where gray market prices are, check out

http://www.deltainternational.com

I've purchased a number of lenses and other items (flash, loupe) from
them and have always received wonderful service and sealed, completely
factory new merchandise.

For bodies, I personally think it is worth the differential to go with
an official US import because of the passport warranty. The question is,
what kind of dollar differential is this really worth? Before the
discontinued rebates, it was a couple of hundred dollars, being reduced
to around a hundred dollars on a Leica Day purchase. For that
differential, it was definitely worth going with the USA warranty, at
least on bodies. IMHO, of course. :-)

- -
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014

Message from Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net> (Re: [Leica] Rebates for 2002??)