Subject: Re: [Leica] Used M3 came today - have questions
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 12:09:57 -0500

Ted-
Consider too, what the overall cost will be. For example, I had Harry
Fleenor do a complete overhaul on a 3,5 Rollei MX-EVS, including putting a
Beattie screen in it, and despite his saying that it would cost more than I
could get out of it- well, I considered the alternatives, so after spending
$300 for the camera (a deal at the time) I went and spent another $500 to
have it completely overhauled--- unwise? well, if I had planned to sell it,
but I intended to keep this for the rest of my life, and no where else could
I get a medium format camera of that quality, with a Schneider lens for
$800.

I too worried when Sherry told me that there was a trace of seperation in my
M3, but then if it did fail, which shouldn't happen for a good while, it
might then be cost effective to have the VF/RF replaced with a newer one.
The M3 is a lot like the much vaunted hammer- over engineered for what it
does, and nearly impossible to 'wear' out. Sure, things can break, but not
very often, and the fix is usually less than getting another camera.

Good luck on your M3- they are really nice cameras, and you won't regret
getting one in the long run.
Dan