Subject: Re: [Leica] NYC this weekend - SOHO
From: Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:16:37 -0800

I have been taking a lot of pictures in SOHO lately and highly recommend it
as a photography destination, especially before 10:30AM when the pedestrians
start to fill the streets.  There are several views as to the boundaries of
the SOHO District.  All views agree that SOHO is bounded by Houston St on
the North and Canal St on the South.  The SOHO Historical Cast Iron District
defines the West Boundary as West Broadway and the East Boundary as Crosby
Street, one block East of Broadway.  Another definition (See
http://www.nyc.com/list.aspx?c=9&e=neighborhoodID&s=526&v=259)  move the
west boundary a couple of blocks west to Avenue on the Americas (6th Avenue)
and the eastern boundary to Broadway.  The SOHO Partnership's
(http://www.sohonyc.org/)  definition is more inclusive in that it moves the
eastern boundary to Lafayette.  The area is in a state of rapid change, some
not all that good.  Many global brands are now establishing downtown a
presence in this neighborhood, including Louis Vuitton, Prada, Chanel and
the like.  Most of them respect the existing architecture, but some tear
down the old structure and put in a new one that is not necessarily
reflective of the neighborhood's character.  A number of buildings have been
or are being converted into Condominium lofts.  Commercial Rental space,
according to one local resident I ran into in a coffee shop, is reaching
$40,000 to $50,000 per month.  The rise in rents has driven many artists and
art galleries (especially, the ones that need lots of space) out of the
neighborhood.

The Cast Iron District Buildings date back to the late 1800s and drew their
inspiration from the Crystal Palace in England.  Some of the buildings in
SOHO have beautiful, ornate facades and are worth a look.  There must be 500
establishments in SOHO with flags, banner and shingle type signs, a rather
unusual concentration, I must say.  As I've never seen anything like this in
any of my travels I thought it was unique in that respect.  However, one
passerby have said that Dublin has something similar.  Another person said
that they are beginning to appear in London, England.  I've been
photographing all of these signs for a documentary project titled "Signs of
the Times, SOHO 2001-2002".  If the work turns out to be good enough a may
be able to publish a book.  Any coaches out there?

To keep this on topic, I'm using a Leica R8 mostly with the Vario Elmar
80-200mm f/4 Vario-Elmar-R and the 100mm APO-Macro-Elmarit-R using K64
(North-South Streets) and Velvia (East-West Streets) and a Benbo 2 tripod
with Manfrotto ProBall 468RC Ball Head.  If I had to do it all over I would
have used a gear head (lesson learned) as there is too much play in the
Monfrotto's adapter when I turn the R8 with VE 90 degrees to take vertical
photographs.  I'm learning a lot about the need for preparedness and
remembering to take everything when I leave the house (including film!).

Regards,

Andy