Subject: [Leica] weddings
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 23:03:08 -0500

Once or twice a year I "get" to do weddings.  If it is family I don't have
any problems because even if it really crocks up (it hasn't but as a mental
exercise I imagine being shunned for a while)they are still family.  If it
is a really good friend then run don't walk away from shooting the wedding.
Pay for a wedding photographer if your friendship is worth it: just don't be
the professional.

Find out what the bride/mother of the bride expect.  If it doesn't match
your style subtly find a way out.  If what they want is something you can do
then great, go ahead.

Once you agree to the shoot get a contract signed.  Make sure you receive
your entire payment prior to the wedding, maybe thirty days prior so if they
don't come through they have enough time to find someone else.  Take the
time to explain precisely what will happen and when, and make sure it does.

component will fail.  Have entirely different solutions to all problems.
Batteries for flashes and a way to shoot without flash.  Cords and adapters
to shoot from the wall if the batteries fail.  Two or three different strobe
sets.  Many bodies/backs.   Shoot Polaroid's of the formal portraits so you
know the system is working.  Run two different backs for the formal
portraits so even if one fails you have another set of negatives to draw
from.

I get the film processed, select enlargements, and build a modest album of
select enlargements and smaller candids.  The bride gets the film.  The
biggest pain in weddings is Great Aunt Martha ordering "That nice picture of
Billy" a year later.

If you are getting paid, set your price backwards from expectations of
prints, number of rolls that need to be shot, etc.

Don Dory
dorysrus@mindspring.com

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] weddings)