Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW Week 2 & 3: Matt K-
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 15:07:27 -0800

Matt Kollasch wrote & showed:
>>> Week 2  is a shot of Theresa, my Doc's nurse just before she gave me a
> shot... call it tit fot tat.
> Week 2 alternative is of Bob and Nick.  Nick is my son.  Bob costs $299
> and is a punching bag.  Nick costs a lot more and is not a punching bag.
>
> http://www.uni.edu/kollasch/photo/paw-02/pages/week-02.htm<<<<

Hi Matt,
I like the nurse one because it's exactly the way one makes this kind of
filling the syringe pictures. :-)  It's OK don't feel bad you didn't copy
any one, yours is just the same as about three million two hundred thousand
images shot long before you. ;-) And very nearly every syringe filling
picture for the next two centuries will be taken. ;-).

>>> Week 3 is of my long-time friend Dave and was taken yesterday after we'd
> watched "our" Iowa basketball team get beat badly by Indiana.  He seems
> to have recovered from the loss.
>
> OK, Ted... Am I getting closer to the mark on the correct lighting (see
> my week one on example on how NOT to use light)?  And what about that
> light that is thrown on his right cheek from his glasses?  I wish it
> were not there...
>
> http://www.uni.edu/kollasch/photo/paw-02/pages/week-03.htm<<<<<<<

No no the light is perfect! That's what sorts out boy shooters from the men,
by recognizing this kind of light and shooting from the shadow side. Why
would you want it not be there?

Hell man that's what I've been telling you for months and I knew you had it
down, you just hadn't recognized it. Now you can see exactly what happens
when you shoot from the shadowside.

Just keep watching for this kind of light and your people pictures plus
every other subject from the shadowside and your photography will take on a
whole new meaning. :-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant