Subject: Re: [Leica] lens serial numbers
From: Mark Kronquist <mak@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 13:38:24 -0800

On 1/14/02 12:49 PM, "G. Michael Paine" <mickeyp35@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I am curious as to the progression of Leica lens serial numbers.
> Has there been just one number series since the first lens, or is
> there more than one series of numbers?
> If there is only one series there must be allotments or breaks for
> different lenses down through the years.
> Can anyone, and I am certain many can, enlighten me as to the
> progression of lens serial numbers: please.
> Thanks,
> Michael
> --

In theory Leica lenses started an 1 and will keep going...in reality lens
numbering started at just under 100,000 (the first Leica lenses were not
interchangeable and not numbered though some may have had numbers penciled
or scratched on the components)

1940 lenses started just about 500,000

1950 lenses started about 756,000

1960 lenses started 1,717,000

1970 lenses started about2,384.000

1980 about 3,013,000

Leica stopped reporting serial numbers in 1988

Some on the lists are reporting new lenses with SN numbers just above
4,000,000

There are always exceptions to ever rule and lenses made out of sequence

There are excellent lens and camera serial number guides in every major
Leica collectors manual

Happy hunting  Mark

Replies: Reply from "G. Michael Paine" <mickeyp35@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] lens serial numbers)