Subject: Re: [Leica] Now: TTL FLash (was NEW M7 )
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 13:34:16 -0500

Skip Williams wrote:

> Notes about TTL Flash:
>
> 1. Canon has wireless, multiple flash with their E-TTL line.  You have to
> use either the 550EX or the Wireless controller as a master.
>
> 2. Rolfe, as a note to your comment below.  What you say may be the case
> with some manufacturers, but I'm also an Olympus OM user, and they had
> multiple TTL flash technology since the early 1980's.  I personally use
> three Olympus T-32's in umbrellas coupled with a T-20 for background fill;
> all controlled on full TTL-Auto by my OM-4t.  It works great, and I could
> add several more flashes if I wanted to.  I don't know the true limit, but
> you'd probably have a mess of flashes before you find the upper limit.

Skip,

As I noted in my response to Mark, and please correct me if I'm wrong,
no TTL flash metering system has any way of knowing what ratios you are
intending for creative effect. All it knows how to do is turn off the
flash(s) when enough exposure has hit the film plane. That being the
case, for anything more than a single light setup -- or possibly a two
light setup where one is lighting the background -- this quickly becomes
more cumbersome than just setting the power on manual flashes to the
appropriate ratio and metering the scene.

At least that is my understanding of how all the available systems work.
I'll now stand back and don my flameproof suit ;-).

- --
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com
New York City