Subject: Re: [Leica] NEW M7 MAJOR CROCK-POT CROW PARMESAN
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 16:00:54 -0800

Frank Filippone wrote:

> Here is the giveaway..... you can not synch an electronic flash that has a
> duration of 1/10,000 or faster of a second with a moving slit shutter, where
> the open time passing through any part of the frame is on the order of
> 1/1000 of a second......unless the shutter is electronically timed with the
> flash in the manner that Mark reports.... .... This shutter is something
> very different than the M6 and previous shutters....or we got bum info.....
> This could be done with a Copal between the lens shutter.. remember the
> Leica Compur?  IN fact that is a darned good idea.. put a BTL shutter in the
> camera instead of a focal plane shutter.....I like it!
>
> Different batteries?  those impossile to find 123 batteries?  Stay
> tuned.....
>
> Why PMA?  If Leica's chief market is amateurs with $$$  , which is what we
> all guess, then PMA is just a rather strange place to announce a new
> camera... OTOH, the free advertising is pretty good......
>
> Frank Filippone

It's not syncing in the traditional sense.

The flash would have a series of pulses which fill the duration the slit
passes in front of the shutter.
The size of the slit WOULD have an effect on exposure.
AS was done in the Olympus om system.
It's simply the only way such a thing could be done.
Perhaps Olympus is making it for them instead of Metz?

Kind of emulateing the way you work with a flashbulb but without the
initial delay.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com