Subject: [Leica] Re: 180mm Tele-Elmarit f/2.8 lens
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 18:23:06 -0500

Luggers,
    Let's put an end to some rumors right now!
    The 180mm f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit Visoflex lens was a originally made for
Leica by Schneider. I don't know if it was a Leica or Schneider design. I
had one well over twenty years and used it on assorted Leica reflex cameras.
    As I understand, its history, only about 275 were made and they all went
to the USA, where they were sold off, mostly to Olden Camera in New York
City.
     Personally, I do not do test charts. But, having shot very thing from
Kodachrome 25 through 3200ASA TRI-X with the lens, I can say, it's practical
performance was EXCELLENT.
    I must disagree with Marc's opinion, that Leitz killed off the lens
because the Zeiss 180mm Sonnar f/2.8 was so much better. Another 180, the
180mm f/2.8 Elmarit-R for the reflex cameras was somewhere in the pipeline.
    Also, Marc's time line about the 180mm f/3.4 APO-Telyt-R & M are off.
The 180 f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit was introduced in 1965.
    The 180mm f/3.4 APO-Telyt-R originally designed for the military was
released to the public in 1975 and the 180 APO w/ eyes was unofficially
shown at the 1974 Photokina. It was my first Photokina and I could not get
Walter Heun of Leica USA to stop talking quickly enough to get my hands on
the lens! The 180 APO w/ eyes was a Canadian invention along with a 28mm
Elmarit w/ eyes for the CL. Neither made it into production.
    I have had my greasy little hands on a 180 APO w/ eyes and have shot
pictures with it! The problem is in the focusing cam. It isn't accurate
enough. I have repeatedly brought this up with the Sultans of Solms.
    Lastly, John Collier was correct, The Leica Museum in Solms does have a
sample. I swapped it to them for an R8.
My lens looks nothing like the sample at Leica Northvale. Mine is "well
seasoned."
Happy Snaps,
Sal DiMarco, Jr.
Philadelphia, PA