Subject: RE: [Leica] Leni Riefenstahl Site
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:27:25 -0500

In the first place, Tim, rehabilitated by whom, and for what? Second, the
reason it's harder to forget/forgive poor Leni is that her work is
specifically associated with the glorification of the Master Race. Perhaps
if she had simply been making gun turret cameras, we'd have been less aware
of the association, and therefore some people would be less concerned about
it today. But she was a major propagandist for the regime - which makes it
damn hard to disassociate her art from the politics. BTW, I don't notice a
lot of interest in books and exhibits of the art of wazhisname Hoffman,
Hitler's personal photographer. Is he the next one to be "rehabilitated?"
Oh, gee, he just thought Adolph was a sweet goofy guy who was kind to kids
and animals and had this quirky thing about uniforms.

B. D.