Subject: Re: [Leica] Difference between leica meter, now 1.35v batteries
From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:25:54 -0500 (EST)

That, of course, assumes that your MR/MR4 is accurate enough for the
battery voltage to make a difference.  I found one that worked
(eventuallY) and use it with 1.4V Zn cells and it is fine (agrees with my
Zone VI digital).

But most MR meters I have seen are C-R-A-P, because either (a) the
internals have loosened up (certainmoving  parts ride directly on the
circuit board) or the photocells have gone bad (irretrievable problem).
Leica doesn't like to even look at these, and there are very few parts
left.  The cell is not one you can get anymore.

Although it is well designed from an operational standpoint (if you use
filters it is crucial to meter outside the lens axis, and the fact that
the view corresponds with the 90 frameline of the M3), check it out
carefully before buying.  At a minimum, the high end of the low scale and
teh low end of the high scale should be close to matching.  Anything else
suggests a bad cell.

I hate to say it after "upgrading," but the MC is better from a build and
reliability standpoint.  If only it had an exposure lock.

Dante Stella