Subject: [Leica] grey market and warranties
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 21:36:53 EST

There are no USA dealers that can sell you a gray market camera with ANY

warranty.  Period.  Leica USA will charge you for these repairs.

Frank,

Most of what you said is true...however it is possible for a dealer to offer
a 3rd party warranty on grey market gear.

Companies such as Mack Camera will allow dealers to buy warranties or
extended warranties on many kinds of equipment.

However, keep in mind that Mack Camera is most likely going to fix that
camera themselves if it breaks...it is doubtful if it will go back to Leica
USA (or Leica Germany.)

You are correct that the Leica international warranty is not technically
valid if you bought the grey market camera here in the states from a dealer.
If you bought it while living over seas from an authorized dealer there it is
_possible_ that they will honor it. I think that is a case-by-case thing and
99% of the times they would probably do it.

All this being said, I don't sell bodies grey market, only lenses as I have
always felt it was against the best interests of my customers to put them
through the hassles when the rare failure occurred. I have more and more
found value in going to the US companies over grey market myself as the
support is more important than one might think and life is just to short to
fret over a camera. :-)

bests,
Rich
photovillage.com