Subject: RE: [Leica] International Warranty in the USA
From: "Sam Krneta" <skrneta@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 19:06:39 -0600

Frank,

It had better be a shallow lake. The biggest problem with the Passport
warranty is that it excludes any loss in which the remains of the camera
or
lens containing the serial number cannot be recovered. This includes
what
is probably the biggest risk to cameras, theft. The Passport also
excludes
fire damage. For non-professionals, an all-risk rider to an existing
homeowner's insurance policy can usually provide much better coverage.

I can attest to this, to the tune of $25,000.00. I had most of my
equipment stolen from my house when I was in Europe last year. Make sure
you itemize all your equipment then you won't have to pay a deductible
if the item is lost or stolen. When you do this you are covered from
theft and loss, not damage. Well worth the extra money in my opinion. My
wife lost two of her anniversary bands. One was itemized one I forgot to
call in when I got it for her. The itemized one was paid for at full
value, no deductible. The non-itemized one got me zilch. Lesson well
learned

Sam Krneta