Subject: Re: [Leica] Difference between leica meter
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 08:16:42 -0700

The M meters mount in the accessory shoe of the M camera and couple to the
shutter speed dial. You set the desired shutter speed, take a meter reading
and set the lens to the aperture displayed.

The M and MC meters use selenium cells which have the benefit of not needing
a battery and a colour response that closely matches our own. They also have
limited low light performance, clumsy booster cells to try and work around
this and the metering area is very wide (65 degrees which is not that useful
at times). The cells also oxidise over the years and require replacement.
There are only two places that I know of still doing selenium cell
replacement, fortunately, it is not that expensive.

The MR meters use powered cds cells and a have good low light sensitivity.
The metering area corresponds to the area of the 90mm lens so semi-spot
readings are easy to do. They use a 1.35v mercury battery which is now
difficult to find but there are several easy fixes for this. The colour
sensitivity tends to darken reds and yellows if I remember correctly and the
meter is subject to memory problems if exposed to bright light (it can
sometimes take 2 or 3 minutes for the meter to be accurate again). The MR
has a "T" shaped meter on switch out the side that interferes with the
rewinding on M4 and up cameras. The MR-4 has a meter on switch on top of the
meter which solves this problem.

The ISO/ASA dial is easily bumped on all the M meters so keep an eye on it.

I use a MR-4 on my M2 and M4-2 cameras and, with careful metering, accurate
exposures to with a 1/3 stop are possible. It is easier and much quicker to
use the built in meter of my M6TTL and so I tend to use that instead. So I
meter with my M6TTL and transfer the settings to the other cameras.

John Collier