Subject: Re: [Leica] Arne's PAW #2 for 2002 (goth alert!)
From: Arne Helme <Arne.Helme@stelvio.nl>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 08:18:48 +0100

Here's a bit more information about my PAW #2.

First the subject, Josien.  First of all, I know her. She is the most happy
and lively person you could imagine.  It was just this very short moment of
reflection that caught my attention, and then I made the shot.  A moment later
it was gone. I made several other photos of her later in the evening but all
of these were simply happy snaps and not very spectacular.

My personal criticism of my PAW #2 is the following.  Firstly, it is not a
posed photo.  As I said above, it was that short moment of reflection that
caught my attention.  Secondly, light was reflecting off the bar desk and
adding some nice light to her face.  My main problem is, as some of you also
pointed out, the ash tray in the lower right corner of the photo.  It may look
as she is staring at it.  If it is removed or cropped away, the subject just
stares into emptiness.  I did not see that while making the photo.
Inexperience on my side, I guess.  Thirdly, when the photo was shot I thought
I had a clear view of her right eye through her hair.  I wonder if that is a
parallax problem.  Finally, there is not much storytelling going on --- only
the subject's moment of reflection (B.D's comment).
On the technical side I just have to say the following: the 2/28mm ASPH. is a
truly stunning low light lens!  28mm works very well for me, and if you need a
wide angle lens with excellent sharpness and contrast at f2, this is
definitely the lens to get.

- -- Arne