Subject: Re: [Leica] [OT] Wash Time...& Fixer...
From: John Straus <Mail@SlideOne.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 00:34:33 -0600

on 1/8/02 10:11 PM, Don Dory at dorysrus@mindspring.com wrote:

> Unless you love using your clone tool to remove scratches, use the hardener.

I have to use the clone tool like a fool anyway. This damn Nikon scanner
shows odd spots and imerfections and w/o being able to use the ICE it really
stinks. No more Nikon for me...

> Sistan is a chemical available from Agfa, and probably B&H, that works like
> selenium on prints.  It coats the silver and reduces the ability of the
> silver to react with atmospheric pollutants.

Got it now I'll have to remember it...

> My wash is modified from Ilford as most people will not do their fixer
> routine and so overfix which causes difficulties getting the fix out.  All
> of the routines assume several changes of water.  Running water into a tank
> from a faucet may not adequately wash the reel at the bottom as the water
> forms a boundary layer that prevents a rapid interchange.

Yeah, after I did it I though I could have but the single roll I developed
on the top spot of the 2 reel tank...

> If you decide to continue with home B&W find a dedicated film washer.  It is
> wonderful to set a timer, set a water flow, and go do something else until
> the timer goes off.

I'm getting one from a friend who's going to pick one up for me where he
works EP so I'm making due with...nothing for now ;)
- --
John
Chicago, IL
http://SlideOne.com