Subject: Re: [Leica] Is a Noctilux the Answer?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 14:46:09 -0800

Jim Norris wrote:

> I often am faced with a situation where I want to take photos indoors, in
> available light. I can hand hold my M6 down to 1/15th of second, however,
> the people I am shooting often don't "cooperate" and move.

Well when they move they go out of focus at F1 but my lens as i just
pear at my new batch of negs i ran yesterday exceeded all expectations
and used it a much better deal although mine was new. The accuracy of
the viewfinder i use is quite up to the demand of the lens. And the lens
used at f1 gives quite a special look which i like.
One good thing about a Noctilux is after  you get one if you get one new
the next lens you get seems cheap!

"What only 2 grand?! chump change!!!!"

IMO is not a replacement for a handy Summicron or Summilux. But just an
added special tool for when you can deal with it's added weight and bulk
and you want the speed and razor thin depth of field.

I'd not make my first 50 a Noctilux. I'd make it a Summicron.
Then add the Noctilux.
Then add the collapsible Elmar.
Then add the dual range.
That's my plan at least. Cant have too many 50's. It's a great number!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com