Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Which lens to replace Focotar?
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 10:41:23 -0500

I think the concern you are having is something of a myth. I have had
several V35s pass through my acquisitive hands and some came with the cam
for 50mm and some with the cam for 40mm lenses. I checked with Dave at
Leica, and found that you can buy the cams, though they are a real bear to
install.
Since no lens is exactly the stated focal length, there is always a bit of
'Kentucky windage' involved. The method that Leica used was to adjust the
lens focus at full height where the focusing mechanism, the roller or cam
follower was just touching the cam- focus is set, then you go to the 2X
position, and adjust the cam so the enlarger is again in focus- the older
Focomats like the Ia, IIa, Ic and IIc had a knurled screw to make this
adjustment- the V35 has three hex headed screws holding the cam in place-
and this makes it a touchy adjustment- making the new one without moving the
upper part of the cam!
If the two extremes are apparently adjusted for, then the lens theoretically
will be in focus throught out the range- you actually adjust the cam to
compensate for minor differences. I am sure that you could open the aperture
and tweak- but in my experience, you cannot tell if the focus is off, even
with a 10X grain focuser... The difference is so minute, it doesn't figure,
and if you then stop down to say f4 or f5,6 to print, you won't be able to
tell!
The V35 is so solid, too that I have changed lenses on them, and with no
detectable variation as long as you swapped a 50 for a 50, or a 40 for a 40.
Just MHO
Dan