Subject: RE: [Leica] [OT] Jobo CPE-2...
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 19:32:03 -0800

Rei... the best synopsis that I have read on developer exhaustion control...
thanks
I think I need to go buy that cookbook.....

Developer exhaustion, when used LOCALLY, is the method called
compensation... Basically, WITHOUT agitation, you let the film cook for a
while.  Locally, the developer ions get exhausted wher ther is lOTS of
silver that has been exposed to light.. those areas that have had little or
no exposure to light take longer to exhaust.  The effective effect is that
the shadows get developed with more time than the highlight areas.  Great
solution for LF film.. kinda worthless to 35mm guys....  ( for those that
REALLY care to use this with roll film, you develop horizontally, in a big
long tray ( that is what a pipe is called when it is cut in half along its
length and capped on both ends))  in the dark.  No agitation.  Usually done
with low activity developers.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net