Subject: Re: [Leica] Richard's PAW, 2002
From: "J. Gilbert Plantinga" <gilplant@hvc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 18:50:07 -0500

on 1/4/02 5:59 PM, Ted Grant at tedgrant@shaw.ca wrote:

> Hi Richard, welcome from the LURK closet! ;-)
> I like this shot very much!  However! Damn there ya are, right?  Don't you
> hate it when that word comes up? :-)
>
> OK me old son, your timing is off by probably not more than a second or two.
>
> Look at the shadows of the cyclists. Two seconds more and those shadows
> would've been or should've been perfectly complete instead of cutting them
> off and the angle of shadows were all working in your favour for a very nice
> composition! Pity! ;-)  Next time you win! :-)
>
> Keep them coming, don't be shy, as anyone who can start off with their first
> picture PAW post as good as what this is  you don't have a worry in the
> world for the next 51 to go! ;-)

Richard, when you get a critique like that from Ted you can be assured that
you are really onto something good! I remember about a year ago when I was
"Granted" on one of my early PAWs. I really panicked. But not for long, and
as the feedback kept coming in I found myself shooting more and more, and
now my stuff is hanging in a local gallery and I sold the first shot of my
pro career just this week. It never would have happened if I hadn't begun to
learn "It's a great shot, BUT..."

I am deeply grateful to Ted, B.D. and the many others who offered the
criticism I needed to really learn from my PAW 2001.

Gilbert

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Richard's PAW, 2002)