Subject: Re: [Leica] Thambar
From: bachchaconne@my-deja.com
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 01:19:59 +0800

Glad to help.  Too bad the author doesn't say whether the "custom
filter" was used.  I wonder if the Thambar is/was already so soft sans
filter.  He does mention that its use would result in ring-shaped
highlights like those from a reflex lens.

I think Leica should revive or re-compute this lens - there should be
sufficient demand given the Thambar's collector status and the fact
that all current Japanese marques have a soft focus or "bokeh" lens of
some sort (Nikon with 2 DC lenses [heads-up Henry], Pentax with a
85mm, Canon a 135mm, Minolta a 135mm STF AND a 100mm soft.)  ec

But then again, if Leica ever re-introduces a Thambar, it'd probaby be
an R-lens because the effect could be pre-visualized.

Andrew