Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Mark Rabiner's XTol tricks
From: Richard Comen <rpcomen@mcn.org>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 20:24:41 -0800

Almost no developer deteriorates more rapidly then developers with
phenidone in the formula. I use a phenidone brew that I have formulated so
that I can shoot my Tech Pan at ASA 100. I now mix my brew in a 3 Litre
amount and dispense it into 8 0z amber glass bottles which I had my
pharmicist obtain thru his supply house. I fill the 8 0z bottles to the
absolute top from my three litre mix and add a few drops so that the liquid
rises above the top of the bottle ( something about surface tension that I
forgot from my college chemistry a half century ago ), I then carefully
screw on the top and there I have a bottle with brew and no air. I use one
bottle per roll in my SS hawes one roll tank. The results from the bottle
opened 6 months after the initial mix appears the same as the results from
the roll developed the day of the initial three litre mix. If This works
for Phenidone,  it should work for any developer. The bottles cost about
$60 per case but this is a one time expense.

Richard
Mendocino CA