Subject: [Leica] Re: interacting with strangers -- a very important element of photography
From: "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 08:54:26 +0100

>I would have
>loved to have gotten an image of the obvious pain and swollen, weary eyes
>but I would have felt like a heel. I'm sure that there would have been a
way
>to approach him anyway, but I was out of my league on this one.

You wouldn't have felt like a heel if you'd had a good reason to be
photographing him. If you'd had a good reason, he would very likely have
allowed you to take the pictures as well. And you would have felt at ease as
well.

I think if you just explain to people what you want to do and why, they can
make up their own minds and very often will be happy to be photographed even
in distressing situations. But you have to have a good explanation!

Sorry to add to my previous post on the topic.

- -- Rob

http://www.robertappleby.com
Mobile (Italy) 348 336 7990