Subject: RE: [Leica] Bokeh - proven myth ?
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 22:42:36 -0500

> This is going to be controversial.
> I read about a lot of Leica lens offering a distinct
> "Bokeh" image that's missing from lens of other makes.
> I was confused as to how could this be possible,
> unless outside of physics' existentialism, Leica lens
> have a metaphysical spirit that the likes of Nikon or
> Zeiss lack.

It's not existentialism, it's purely physics, and not that difficult to
understand, or see.

http://www.darkroom.com/MiscDocs/bokeh.pdf

> To prove my point, I did some experiment.
> I used my Leica M6 with the 35 Summicron and a Nikon
> F2 with a 35mm lens.

A wide angle lense at f2 isn't a real "bokeh" lense.  First off, it's too
wide, and second f2 isn't going to give you near the lack of DOF that f1.4
is.  Why not try using a 50/1.4 wide open and do this experiment right...or
for that matter, a 75/1.4.

Austin

Replies: Reply from Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org> (Re: [Leica] Bokeh - proven myth ?)