Subject: RE: [Leica] re: Breaking the Rules
From: "John R. Fulton Jr." <JRFjr@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 20:29:37 -0600

BD--
Ken Heyman had a tremendous effect on me learning about photography
in the 1960's. I always wondered what happened to him. He had a book
a few years ago called Snaps or something like that (I know that's
EE's new book). It was a book of stuff he shot from the waist with a
P&S.  Fairly edgy stuff -- very urban.
I still remember his advise for shooting with the 21mm on the street.
He'd get close to people, shoot with the 21, but always look out on
the horizon like he was shooting out there. The 21 was so wide most
people wouldn't think he was shooting them. He said that if people
just 'looked' at him to see what he was doing, he stop shooting and
fiddle around with the camera. After doing "camera adjustments" for a
while most people would get bored watching him and forget him.
He was a big guy so this was an accomplishment.
There was a book in the mid 1960's called This America by Lyndon B.
Johnson (yes, the Pres). Ken Heyman did the photography. I bought it
in 1966 for the princely sum of $1.95.
have a good new year.
John Fulton
Fort Worth