Subject: [Leica] Re: PAW 52 MEB / Kid's Level Shooting
From: MEBerube <photog@pivot.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 18:06:41 -0500

You all are correct of course...Other than the adorable expression, I blew
this shot. (The neg is a bit over-exposed also to be perfectly honest.)
Shooting from "the 3 yo's level" would have made the photograph MUCH better
as it did with with these other PAWs that I shot of her this year:

http://www.goodphotos.com/OneAWk/01wk1a.jpg
http://www.goodphotos.com/OneAWk/01wk41a.jpg
http://www.goodphotos.com/OneAWk/01wk42a.jpg

Needless to say, however the non-photographer grandparents LOVED wk 52 and
of course are already bugging me for prints. (They are worse than real
clients!) :)

Thanks for all the feedback this year. Honest and well meant critique from
fine photographers such as found here on the LUG are invaluable and greatly
treasured.

I'm still thinking on how I'll do the PAW in 2002. I think I'll be doing
more specifically thematic shooting than this last year, but I'm still
working it out.

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Berube

At 07:27 AM 12/31/01 -0800, Nathan wrote:
>The photo is cute, but it suffers from the usual defect of children's
>photographs (I am guilty of this too on occasion), namely that you are
>standing up and looking down on Bethy. You need to get down in the snow
>yourself and be at her level.

Ted agreed and expanded the sentiment with:
>Hi Nathan,
>I can't agree with you more.
>
>The biggest failure of most children pictures that come from LUG members
>is.......... the photographer forgets to bend their knees and they don't get
>down to the child's level.  Consequently they blow the picture 99% of the
>time when they could've had a fine child moment capturing a simple activity.
>
>So for 2002, how about all you folks happily shooting kids please get down
>to their level! :-)
>
>Hey, you might be very surprised at how much your pictures improve. :-)
>Hell most of you are much younger than me and I've got 10 grandchildren to
>keep track of, so I have to do a fair amount of knee bending, that I can do,
>no problem.
>
>However, it's getting back up is the problem.  That and a grandmother who's
>my worst nightmare if I don't get good pictures. ;-) So lets be careful out
>there and bend those knees for great kid pictures.

Doug humorously added a reminder from PLUG and gave us an example of kid
height shooting with: