Subject: [Leica] an even more interesting question...
From: "kyle cassidy" <kcassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 14:03:57 -0800

james harrison sed inre the crime/cops/publication scenario:

>While the scenario is interesting to think about, it would
>never happen in real life.  If this would have happened, the officer would
>just simply take the film.

this is an even more interesting question -- we've heard accounts of police
at WTC confiscating film from photojournalists, but at what point does your
news organization make a stink and at what point does that stink really
start to stink?

the scenerio now is that you as a photojournalist take an image of a
celeberty commiting a violent crime (let's say dabney coleman shooting fiona
apple in front of the viper room) the police arrive on the scene and
confiscate your film. you go back to your boss at People magazine. you tell
the story to the editor. she picks up the phone and:

    a) orders a pizza
    b) telephones the legal department and says "sharpen your fangs boys"
    c) calls the police and says "we want that film back now!"
    d) issues a press release
    e) calls the police and says "we're happy to cooperate"

scenerio number two is that you're mike wallace and that you and your camera
crew videotape dabney coleman shooting fiona apple in front of the viper
room. a police officer tries to confiscate your video tape. what happens?

i think bob shell was doing an article on photojournalists who had film
confiscated at the WTC but i don't know what's become of it.

kc