Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's final PAW of 2001
From: Steven Alexander <alexpix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 13:27:26 -0500

> First of all, Happy New Year to all my friends on the LUG.
>
> For the final week's PAW, I have chosen three images which all have to
> do with looking through windows and with trains, although in quite
> different ways. The main image is my father, currently visiting me for
> the holidays, looking at the window of a shop selling model trains. He
> has had a tough year, will be 78 in February and aside from me and my
> children there is not much joy in his life following my mother's death
> in April. That is why I jumped at a chance to photograph him when he was
> admiring the intricate model trains and expressing almost boylike
> wonder:
>
> http://www.wajsman.com/52.jpg

> http://www.wajsman.com/52alt1.jpg

And to you and yours a hope for a wonderful journey in the coming year.

your images are always a delight to see and crafted so well.  However, this
final window into your world is the best of the year.  Without reading that
it is your father, there is a connection between the subject and the
viewer...I felt the "old mans" emotion viewing the trains and only
secondarily looked at the technical  and artistic qualities.  It is a moving
photograph and demonstrates the impact that an image of a not "front page"
event can have on the audience.

As to the alternatives number one is good a different approach to travel
snaps but number two is a well executed yet predictable train travel snap.

Looking forward to your continued contribution of pictures.

Happy snaps,
Steven Alexander