Subject: [Leica] re: Breaking the Rules
From: "Mike Stoesz" <mstoesz@wyoming.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 19:52:51 -0700

I am with Ted and B.D. on this.  I am partner in a photo lab that
provides supplies to University journalism/photojournalism students.
Few have a clue, even after taking the two photo courses that are
offered, about what a technically good and esthetically good and
informative photograph really is.

I have recommended that students (and professors) read the following
three books:

"Photography Is A Language" by Whiting
"Photographic Impact in Print" by Hurley & McDougall
"Willie" by Ken Heyman

There are many other classic books and texts available but the modern
generation of students and professors do not seem to be aware of any of
them.

Best wishes, Mike

Hi B. D.
Sometimes I think some of the photographer's of today haven't got a
clue,
that long before the post war advent of the 35mm camera's popularity,
Leica
or otherwise, there weren't any "great pictures taken." And their
thinking
today is, only those shooting 35 mm be it whatever make, are the
photographer's producing the greatest photos ever taken.

Your point of looking at the Pulitzer photos is a wonderful reality
check
for those who forget that a great number of photographers went before
the
hordes of today with their basically point and shoot do everything so
the
person holding it only has to press a button and exposures are made
cameras.
Without hardly any intelligent input.