Subject: Re: [Leica] Not really OT: PS Unsharp Masking...
From: John Straus <Mail@SlideOne.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 15:24:35 -0600

on 12/28/01 2:02 PM, Mark Rabiner at mark@markrabiner.com wrote:

>>> "Threshold"    always at zero. Only suckers play with this parameter says
>>> Deke McClelland in the Photoshop Bible.
>>
>> Sure zero is fine if you want every pixel to be separated from the next like
>> a grainy neg. In some cases it's needed and can give you that look, I find
>> in most it is not. If you want to keep your low contrast areas looking
>> smooth and not spotty the 3-5 range will almost always look better. Play
>> around with it and use what looks good to you...
>> --
>> John
>> Chicago, IL
>

> You just set the "amount" lower. Does the same thing.
> "Threshold" just confuses the issue. Leave it at zero.

Ok but the whole point of threshold is to not let any amount (%) of
sharpening affect any group of pixels within that 3-5 range. If you keep
your % lower you may not get enough sharpening effect where it's needed
while trying to keeping your smooth areas in check. I may have to go back
and test a few methods to see...
- --
John
Chicago, IL