Subject: Re: [Leica] More galleries (sometimes) functioning
From: "dante@umich.edu" <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 09:16:32 -0500

Don,

You are right about the black background screwing up the blacks in the
pictures.  At some point this week, I am going to rewrite the individual
gallery picture pages to accommodate a middle-grey background.

I don't know if the problem is really contrast or lack of it.  The Barcelona
pictures were all taken on a bright, clear day (somewhere I have color shots
of all of these places that I used as a reference).  There are some
hard-contrast situations (underneath the cathedral columns, or in the
Alhambra in Granada), but the bigger problem is that outdoors,
cement/limestone and sky come out as the same tone.  To remedy this (and to
suit my taste), I developed an exposure/processing regime to separate the
highlights properly with Tri-X.  But this invariably means printing onto #1,
#0, or #00 to keep the shadows together.  Things become tougher on the
computer.

One day I will figure out how to scan and display to look more like prints!

Yikes
Dante