Subject: Re: [Leica] Who'd be a PJ in these troubled times?
From: Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 16:17:03 -0800

Teresa299@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/22/01 10:45:07 AM, bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:
>
> << Hi, Gary, I am thanks -well. Anyway, while the mainstream press may have
>
> interlocked corporate owners, etc. etc. etc., on the editorial side the
>
> major American papers still at least strive for something approaching a
>
> reasonably balanced view of reality. While they don't always succeed, I
>
> would argue that they still succeed better than most of the rest of the
>
> world's media.
>
> Are you really equating the news pages of, say, The New York Times, with
>
> the pages of The Greenpeace Times  (or whatever it is called)? The Times
>
>   exists to present news of the world to the public - no matter what you
>
> may think of the job it does. The Greenpeace publication exists solely
>
> to push the Greenpeace agenda.
>
> B. D. >>
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm no journalism professor.  Nor am I a PJ.  Hell, I'm barely even a
> photographer (which is why I'm going to try and embark on a PAW in 2002).....
> but I am a comsumer and as such have a few observations.
>
> Last week, while flipping the dial in true couch potato fashion, I briefly
> stopped upon NBC nightly news.  Some NBC correspondent based in Afghanistan
> was giving a report on the taking of Khandahar or some airport (whatever, I
> was only vaguely watching).  In the backround were scene of Marines, then
> some tanks and then some sullen looking Afghans(I guess they were either
> prisoners or just tired of having cameras and lights in their faces).  Fine.
> Click, I move onto ABC nightly news.  On their station was their ABC
> correspondent based in Afghanistan, reporting on the taking of Khandahar, or
> some airport.  Again I was only vaguely paying attention until I realized
> that the video feed was the exact same as NBC and that the copy that this
> "journalist" was reading was almost verbatim to what the NBC correspondent
> was reading!

If you read CNN and ABCNEWS online, you will often find two nearly
identical articles.
If you read the fine print you will discover that the report originated
from Reuters and was simply reprinted. As far as I am concerned CNN and
ABC are not worth reading.
It's mostly shallow, spun, tabloid news. The prefer the BBC or something
like The Washington Post, which by the way always has excellent photo
essays on current events.

feli