Subject: Re: [Leica] Who'd be a PJ in these troubled times?
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 10:12:36 -0800

on 12/23/01 7:20 AM, Gary Elshaw at godard@hotmail.com thoughtfully wrote:

> I don't know if this is true or hearsay, but I heard the florida recount had
> been done and there was something disturbing in the result (Gore won? Who
> knows), but many publications had resisted printing the article due to
> political sensitivities. Probably BS, but that one did the rounds with some
> friends here. 'Rumour: the best source of misinformation!' Now there's a
> newspaper waiting to happen.

The results from a "pool" recount from Florida were discussed in print and
on the net for some time after the story broke. I think you can search Salon
for their take on the story as well as the archives of the NYT.

The capsule results, as I remember them were ironic: the strategy followed
by the respective campaigns was wrong: had Gore's efforts succeeded and
limited the recount to the 3 or 4 requested counties he would have lost. If
the Bush effort for a complete recount had succeeded he most likely would
have lost by a few hundred votes. Other issues, of course, are mixed up in
this but the information was clearly out there.

Adam Bridge