Subject: RE: [Leica] when is a pj not a pj?
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 08:53:28 -0700

Or, in Canada, where the (originally) TV based Global Media now has a large
newspaper chain including one of the national dailies. Journalists (and
presumably PJ's) are not allowed to publish anything critical about the huge
convergence/conglomerate, or their owners, the Aspers.  In fact any article
or editorial which mentions them has to be cleared by corporate
headquarters.

The Global Media HQ now send out a weekly editorial from corporate HQ that
all the papers have to publish. Staff at the Montreal Gazette were, this
week sent a memo that points out that while certain staff (ie journalists)
have a certain loyalty to journalistic (and presumably photo-journalistic)
ethics and standards, they also have a (legal) loyalty and responsibility
towards their employer... strongly hinting this is of at least equal if not
prime importance.

This is where we are now at with the convergence of different media and
communications entities... the above is a (not very extreme) example of what
is happening all over N America. A lot of the photojournalism you see in the
papers you read comes from a company solely owned by Bill Gates... a
company,. and the photo-agencies it owns, that he is bending to his
corporate will (think SABA Press Photo, Sygma and others).

As this continues, who are the real journalists (photo and otherwise?)?
Those who work for media that is controlled by AOL, Time/Warner, Bill Gates
or the Aspers?

Or those who provide stories or images from the likes of Greenpeace or the
Indie Media at events like those in Seattle or Quebec City (where the police
consciously and actively try to close them down because they are deemed a
"threat"...?

It makes me think anyway.....

Tim A