Subject: Re: [Leica] VII
From: Robert Schneider <robslaurat@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 09:36:26 -0500

I need some decoding help:

 ". . . sure looks like NGO photography to me."  As in "non-governmental
organization"?  If so, what specifically do you mean by "NGO
photography"?  What particular style/viewpoint do you instantly
associate with the photography created for NGO's all over the world?

"I've had a number of friends complain that photojournalism is dying. A
number have bailed out and gone on to more commercial ventures."
Speaking of stifled yawns, photojournalists "bailing" and moving to more
commercial ventures is stale news.  It's been happening since the day a
talented news photographer learned that
fashion/commercial/wedding/children-and-dog work paid far better and
didn't require getting dirty hands (or recurring nightmares).  Did a guy
like John Stanmeyer of VII just get confused somewhere along the way,
since he was a fashion/commercial photographer and is now an
international PJ.  What's that all about?

"whining pollyanna rubric"  Whose?  I got lost in that sentence; is it
those showing "editorial disinterest" or the photojournalists?  In
either case, please present concrete examples.  I'm not sure I'm clear
on your notion of a "whining pollyanna rubric" in any case.

And speaking of concrete examples, please offer a few links to sites
with more potent, less yawn-inducing photojournalism.  I'm seriously
excited by the prospect, as I found the VII site one of the most
compelling I've seen in a long time.

Rob Schneider

Replies: Reply from "John R. Fulton Jr." <JRFjr@compuserve.com> (Re: [Leica] VII)
Reply from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] VII)