Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 50 - Zurich's Bahnhofstrasse again
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 06:42:00 +0100

I take a walk during the lunch break almost every day, and more often
than not I walk down Zurich's Bahnhofstrasse, this city's equivalent of
5th Avenue--shops with prices that amaze me, with some banks (retail and
private) mixed in. The whole place is permeated by a smell of money. The
Swiss have a lot of wealth, and many people have quite large stock
portfolios (I have a credit card debt portfolio instead...). So, many
banks in the city have large displays in their window, providing
real-time updates on prices of Swiss blue chip stocks and all major
indeces around the world. These boards are checked with great interest:

http://www.wajsman.com/50.jpg

My alternate is a very common sight in European and North American
cities this time of year, the Salvation Army singing and collecting
money for their work. Even though I do not share their religion, I do
admire the commitment it takes to stand on the street in the cold
weather we have been having recently. Having said that, this particular
group at least had a good spot (Bahnhofstrasse at Paradeplatz for those
who know Zurich): quite a few passers-by put money in their box, and
many put bills (the smallest Swiss bill is 10 CHF, about $6).

http://www.wajsman.com/50alt1.jpg

Both shots with the M6 on Delta 400, the main pic with the 50mm Summilux
and the alternate with the 35mm Summilux.

The overall PAW index is at:

http://www.wajsman.com/indexpaw.htm

and comments are welcome and appreciated as always.

Nathan
- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland