Subject: Re: [Leica] filters
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 18:42:35 -0800

on 12/16/01 12:47 PM, Larry Fuller at merryandbo@earthlink.net wrote:

> I have an R3 and was wondering if I should be using UV filters? I plan
> on shooting up in the southern Sierras somewhat.  And if I should use
> them,
> what size fits on a Summicron-R f2 50mm?
>
> how about a Summicron-R f2 90mm?
>
> and what about on an Elmar-R f4 180mm?
>
> thanks,
> Bo

Aside from the UV filter question (which Marc answered) the filter size your
lenses use depends on their age.  Early 50mm Summicron-R (Germany) uses
Series VI, late models (from Canada) use E55.  for the 90mm Summicron-R,
either Series VII (early) or E55 (late).  The 180 Elmar is E55.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
www.wildlightphoto.com