Subject: Re: [Leica] Noktones et Ultrones
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 09:26:52 -0500

This is an interesting commentary on attitudes, machismo, and stubbornness.
Possibly the three best fast lenses in the 50's in a 50mm focal length were
the 50 Sonnar 1.5 from Zeiss, the 50 Nokton, and the 50 1.4 from Nikon(which
to avoid long rebuttals is directly related to the Zeiss design).  But the
most popular bodies by a very long shot were from Leica.(The collectable
IIIF RD ST was produced in about 59000 copies but the common uncollectable
Nikon S2 was produced in about 59000 copies give or take).

But Zeiss was too proud and the Voigtlander group was too indebted? to Zeiss
to produce many of these lenses in a mount that they could sell in
America(see discussions of the fair trade laws) and turn a profit.  But what
is really fascinating is the Russian version of the Zeiss lens can be had
for a song in the US and much of the world because we turn our noses up at
its quality.  Yes there is variability in mount build but a little
examination can send the bad puppies packing.  There has been a champion on
this list of these Russian lenses for years to only small effect.

The reason I'm pointing this out is assuming good samples a newbie to RF
could acquire a body and then the classic trio(35, 50, 85}with an investment
of about $300 in lenses.  We all cheerfully recommend $300 to $1000 lenses
to someone who may not know what direction they want to go.  Yes, the new
designs are better but many of us cheerfully love our Summarit which wide
open is soft.

Don Dory
dorysrus@mindspring.com