Subject: Re: [Leica] noctilux DOF as compared to other lenses
From: Rei Shinozuka <shino@ubspw.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 10:07:58 -0500 (EST)

someone cleverer than i pointed out to me that for a GIVEN MAGNIFICATION, the
noctilux is still DOF champ.  in other words, you need to scale the distance
by the focal length so that a cat or a face would be approximately the
same size on the negative for each lens.

using my favorite calculator: http://members.home.net/gillettm/DOF.html
we get:

f.l.  f.stop. distance DOF
35     1.4     1.4m    13.1cm
50     1.0     2.0m     9.4cm
75     1.4     3.0m    13.1cm
90     2.0     3.6m    18.7cm

the most surprising is that given these constraints, the 35 lux at 1.4m
has the same DOF as the 75 lux at 3.0m!

- -rei