Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm for my LEICA M6
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 08:04:41 -0800

>In truth, almost any Leica lens will deliver the goods if in any kind of
>decent condition so if you are planning to shoot with one whichever one is
>cleanest/cheapest.  The one reason to buy newest would be if you are
>shooting into the light(s) in which case the new glass is significantly
>better unless you like the look of veiling flare.
>Don Dory

That's not the only reason to go with the newest 35 Summicron. More
important, IMO, is its performance wide open, which is outstanding. I've
got some shots, like the following, made at f2 at about 1/15. It's in a
monastery in relatively low light:

http://home.lainet.com/~gbennett/photography/photography_abbey.html

I don't know if it's visible on the screen, but on the print you can
actually see marks on the stones in the wall from when they were either cut
or cleaned, as well as some odd symbols also cut into the surface of those
stones (indicating perhaps their position in the wall).

I found the lens' ability to capture such detail wide open in low light
very impressive. I guess I don't shoot into the light often enough to have
appreciated the 35 ASPH Summicron's performance in that regard.

Guy