Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 48 - & tilts ;-)
From: Pablo Kolodny <pablokolodny@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 22:47:53 -0800

Hi Ted,

Beyond your "period" philosophy I have to say I agree with you in most of
what you said.
But... let me suggest that the way you say some things sounds like a "little
bit" authoritative and rather would lead Nathan to be afraid of the
verticals issue rather than capturing the soul or the atmosphere as fine as
he captured at that nice bookshop he portrayed so well.
I understand this is a list where we discuss Leica, photography and so on, I
know you're a respected photographer (I also liked your work) but that does
not give the right to say when a photographer has to follow rules or break
them.
Taking a photo, IMO, is much more than keeping verticals, not to cut the
image with a horizontal line halfway...exposing properly, framing right the
way the rules state, I'd rather say that the whole stuff has to do more with
the story or something for the like the image is able to tell us.
Sometimes verticals would help telling but I don't believe that always will.
At least, Nathan's photo is telling us lots of stories happened in there,
people, passing by there, writers, etc etc... even the history of the owner
himself and more... leaning is part of life, at least in that kind of
pictures.
Now, do you really think that keeping vertical in that photo will help us go
further ? I don't and maybe leaning would be adding some extra strong effect
as a part of that story or history.

Take care and relax, we're not discussing architectural photography where
most of photographers are intended to keep the way you like. And, by the
way, modern architectural photographers are working more and more with some
interesting distortions.

Have you ever had a look to a photo book named "New York Vertical" ?
Sure the photographer manages wide lenses and control perspective in a way
like you said about tilting as a matter in itself but ... have a look at the
book. Maybe you already have seen it.

kind regards

- --
Pablo Kolodny