Subject: Re: [Leica] Are there objects points beyond infinity? To infinityand beyond!
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 18:21:48 -0500

I can recall from my days in grad school ideas about objects in the
universe that effectly were "beyond infinity" away.   There are
representations of space-time called "conformal space-time diagrams" where
it is possible to trace a path to objects that are visible to us, but  from
which otherwise we are disconnected.   I think the term was that they are
at "null infinity" (this is all from memory going back about 25 years, so
I'm a bit rusty).  These objects would theoretically be visible in the
night sky, but if we were to aim a rocket ship at them, and travel at any
speed less than the speed of light (and which is all we can ever hope for),
we would never be able to reach them.

I have no idea if current ideas of cosmology still consider these ideas
viable.

dan c.