Subject: Re: [Leica] 400mm 2.8
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 5 Dec 2001 07:58:13 -0800

On Wed, 05 December 2001, "michael grady" wrote:

> Doug,
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> I'll take your advice and shoot a test roll at different shutter speeds.
> Any use in using the mirror lock for these long lenses?
>
> michael

The mirror lock-up will help tell you the capabilities of the optical system but it may not tell you how sharp your results will be under real photographic situations.  For example, I find the MLU nearly useless for wildlife photos because the critters move too much between flipping the mirror up and tripping the shutter.

Some photographers rest their left hand on the lens above the tripod mount to help reduce vibrations from mirror slap.  I haven't used this technique much 'cuz I rarely use a tripod but what I've read is that it helps with the really long lenses, esp. 400mm and longer.  Its likely that my hands-on technique accomplishes much the same thing, since I have the left hand supporting the lens, right hand on the camera body and the shoulder stock pressed against my shoulder... lots of flesh contact to damp the micro-vibrations of mirror slap.  The monopod + shoulder stock takes care of most longer-wavelength camera shake.

The monopod is a relatively recent addition to my tool kit, brought on by a gradual deterioration of muscle coordination known as "aging".  Many of the photos on my website were made using just the shoulder stock, and it's still my choice for maximum mobility in good light.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe