Subject: [Leica] Incredibly OT: Odd email/rants against microsoft
From: Tom Christiansen <tomchr@softhome.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 23:09:48 -0800

Adam,

> > There are very few Mac viruses out there and they usually
> > are only a problem if you hang out on Mac chat groups, bulletin boards and
> > other such dens of iniquity.
>
>Yeah, the worst are still the idiot Microsoft viruses that come from
>importing scripted Word and Excel documents.
>
>Why DOES Microsoft do things like this anyway?

Because they assume that the user is STUPID and only MicroSoft knows how to
operate their machines to achieve what the user wants...!!!

What I don't get is why did M$ need to change HTML to enable file access?
Why do their macro languages need to have file access? Why does word need
to be able to initiate an email send using outlook? Why?!?! It seems like
M$ really wants their systems to be as vulnerable as possible. "To satisfy
the user." Only M$ knows what the user wants. The user doesn't know. But M$
does.

Unfortunately Windows is the only current PC operating system that is easy
to use. It's a breeze to install, to get an internet connection set up, and
to install programs, and the programs are usually of good quality. Linux is
not quite there yet. I really wish I could go back in time and change IBM's
marketing strategy so that OS/2 would now be the dominant OS. But such is
life...

The only thing to say right now is: Install a virus shield. Have it enabled
ALL THE TIME. Don't open attachments from people you don't know. Don't open
attachments that aren't described or mentioned in the message text. Don't
open attachment with weird names. This simple list of precautions has kept
me out of trouble virus-wise for a good 10-12 years now. It works!!

Now, stop talking about viruses (or vira) and get out there and take some
excellent pictures (please).

Tom