Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Cindy Sherman/Helmut Newton/and definitely OT
From: ternahan <ternahan@sonic.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 10:51:49 -0800

In yesterday's NYTimes there are two interesting reviews...one on an Imogene
Cunningham show in Chelsea with new platinum prints by Ron Partridge(one of
THE best printers IMHO) and vintage siver prints of never before seen
work...Ron had the prints in a forgotten box of family photos. BTW, for us
geezer types, Ron is well over 80 and still prints and shoots daily. He had
his first show of his own work a couple of years ago here in Berkeley. For
those who don't know, Ron is one of Cunningham's twin sons(his brother died
a year or two ago) and he apprenticed and worked with Dorthea Lange for
years. I beleive he handles the photo estates for both Lange and Cunningham.

Back to Cindy Sherman/Helmut Newton...the review really made me see Newton's
work in a new light. (translation: his work leaves me cold). The review,
written by a woman, noted how incredibly strong and, yes, dominating, his
women are. She also talked about his experience with the Nazi's in
Germany-he left at 18-and quoted him as saying his women had to be strong
because he was so insecure. A lot of his fashion/pornish images are direct
references to the Nazis.

FWIW,